Published By: Akashdeep

T20 World Cup: A Look through Surya Kumar Yadav's T20 Centuries!

Suryakumar Yadav justifies his strike rate through his performances!

Making his T20I debut at the age of 30, Suryakumar Yadav's journey to stardom seemed unlikely to many. Despite possessing immense talent suited for the international stage, Surya had to patiently bide his time. The wait, however, was worthwhile, fueling his hunger to deliver outstanding performances in T20Is while wearing the blue jersey. Surya's knack for scoring substantial runs is clear from the impressive centuries he has accumulated. Here, you can explore the list of Suryakumar Yadav’s T20I centuries.

117 (55) vs. England (Nottingham, 2022)

Suryakumar Yadav didn't have to wait long to score his maiden T20I century. In his 17th T20I innings, the Mumbai batsman played a lone warrior's knock, smashing 117 runs against England in July 2022. Chasing a target of 216 set by England, India found themselves in trouble at 13 for 2 when Surya stepped in. Despite another wicket falling, the Nottingham crowd was soon treated to Surya’s audacious stroke play as he sent the ball to all corners of the ground, hitting 14 fours and 6 sixes. The right-handed batter formed a crucial 119-run partnership with Shreyas Iyer for the fourth wicket, keeping India in contention. However, Surya couldn’t see India through to victory, as he was dismissed by Moeen Ali in the 19th over after a stunning innings of 117 runs off 55 balls, boasting a strike rate of 212.72.

111* (51) vs. New Zealand (Mount Maunganui, 2022)

Four months after his maiden century, Suryakumar Yadav delivered another stunning performance against New Zealand in November 2022. Facing New Zealand in the 2nd T20I of the series, India needed a win after the first match was washed out. The Kiwis elected to bowl first and managed to keep India in check during the powerplay, taking a wicket with the score at 36. Entering at No. 3, Surya played with a flair reminiscent of a video game, effortlessly dismantling New Zealand's bowling attack. Surya reached his fifty in 32 balls and rapidly accelerated, achieving his second T20I century in just 17 more deliveries. His onslaught continued, particularly in the 19th over, where he scored 22 runs. Surya remained unbeaten with 111 off 51 balls, featuring 11 fours and 7 sixes. India secured victory by 65 runs, with Surya earning the Player of the Match award.

112* (51) vs. Sri Lanka (Rajkot, 2023)

After impressing overseas crowds with his extraordinary hitting, Suryakumar Yadav turned his attention to delighting the home fans. India was hosting Sri Lanka for a three-match T20I series, and with the series tied at 1-1, the decider was crucial. India chose to bat first but found themselves at 52 for 2 with one ball remaining in the powerplay. Surya walked to the crease and quickly got into his stride. He anchored the inning and propelled India to a formidable total of 228 runs. During this knock, Surya recorded the second-fastest T20I century by an Indian, reaching his 100 in just 45 balls. He concluded India’s innings with a four, remaining unbeaten on 112 off 51 balls with a strike rate close to 220.

100 off 56 vs. South Africa (Johannesburg, 2023)

Suryakumar Yadav capped off a remarkable 2023 with his fourth T20I century in South Africa. In the third and final T20I of the series, India faced the hosts, who led 1-0. Surya not only played as a batter but also led the Indian team in the absence of the regular captain. Despite the added responsibility, he handled it with finesse. After being put in to bat first, India found themselves in a tricky situation at 29 for 2 in the 3rd over. Captain Surya then stepped up and rescued the team from this precarious position. Displaying his trademark ability to hit the ball to all corners of the Wanderers Stadium, SKY formed a crucial 112-run partnership with young Yashasvi Jaiswal for the third wicket. This partnership and his powerful innings helped India post a total of 201 runs. Surya reached his century off 55 balls before being dismissed in the last over, having struck 7 fours and 8 sixes.

There is still a long career ahead of Surya, and these four centuries will surely reach double figures in no time!